Saturday, May 4, 2013

Feliz Cinco de Mayo!!!

Hey everyone! I hope you are all enjoying the first weekend in May as much as I am. The weather here is perfect and there is no better weekend to have a fiesta than right now. It finally feels like late spring here and all the flowers are blooming throughout our village and it makes me yearn for a garden of my own. Today was perfect for mowing the lawn and getting  things planted in the garden. For me, it's time to introduce to the world my Margarita cupcakes. It is a super simple recipes with a delicious lime margarita buttercream frosting, sprinkled with a touch of salt, and garnished with a tortilla chip. 

Let's talk a little bit more about what Cinco de Mayo means, for many Americans and Mexicans it is a celebration of culture and really pride in being of Mexican descent. In the state of Puebla, Mexico it is a celebration commemorating the victory over French forces at the Battle of Puebla in 1862. This is not Mexico's independence day which happens on September 16. 

Okay, enough history back to the cakes! This week's recipe has created one of the most beautiful cupcakes that I've ever baked. It even looks perfect without any frosting, in fact, I didn't even know if I wanted to frost it. Here is a picture of the most perfect cupcake ever baked by my dinky German oven. (Please ignore the messy kitchen in the background!)




Margarita Cupcakes
(Makes about 20 cupcakes)

1 box Betty Crocker Super Moist White Cake Mix

1 1/4 cups pre-made Margarita mix instead of water

3 egg whites

1/3 cup vegetable oil 


Follow box instructions for baking. It is pretty simple just make sure you don't add any water to it since you're substituting the Margarita mix. 

Lime Margarita Buttercream Frosting

1/2 cup room temperature butter

1/2 lb confectioners sugar 

2-3 tablespoons Margarita Mix

Whip the butter and sugar together and slowly add margarita mix until it is light and fluffy. Frost cupcakes and sprinkle with salt and garnish with your favorite brand of tortilla chips! 




Review

My husband informed me that ever since starting this blog, these are by far the best cupcakes I have made. He has had 3 and it's only been an hour. These are especially fluffy almost like an angel food cake. For more fluffyness you could always whip the batter longer allowing more air into the mix. 

I hope you enjoy them and Feliz Cinco de Mayo! 


















No comments: