Sunday, April 28, 2013

The Submission

This weekend I finally gave in, after weeks and week of requests from those living with me (husband and stepson) I submitted to their will and baked my caramel pecan fudge brownies. I had thought about making them into individual cupcakes but for the sake of time and the requester's I made a huge pan. I am not a huge fan of making caramel so I rarely do it, and I never follow instructions, I just kind of made it all up as I went along. The caramel itself turned out wonderfully and I couldn't have asked for better flavor. 

My fellow sweet tooth's out there BEWARE, this is so decadent, I had to take a break halfway through my square. The pecans offered the crunch, the fudge brownies offered well, fudge and the caramel topping really pulled everything together in a love nest of nutty, buttery, chocolate goodness! 



Fudge Brownies
(Makes 24 Servings)

2 cups unsalted butter

8 (1 ounce) squares of unsweetened chocolate

4 cups white sugar

8 eggs

2 cups all purpose flour

2 tsp vanilla extract

1 tsp salt

1/2 cup semi sweet chocolate chips

1-2 tbsp coffee (optional and to your liking)

5 3/4 cups Pecans or Walnuts or a nut of your liking (optional) (I only added Pecans to the topping but you can add it in the batter if you really love them)


Preheat oven to 350° F and grease a 9 x 13 baking pan. 

Slice butter into 1/2 inch squares and combine with unsweetened chocolate squares. Micro wave in 20 second increments, stirring after each reset, until butter and chocolate is melted together. Remove from microwave and combine sugar immediately. Allow the mixture to cool for a bit, add vanilla extract, salt and eggs one at a time. Slowly stir flour into the mixture until all is combined, add chocolate chips, coffee if using and nuts at this point. Pour batter into baking pan. 

Bake in oven 30-35 minutes. Brownies are done when a tooth pick inserted into center comes out clean. Cool in pan on wire rack. 

Pecan Caramel Topping

20 oz. heavy whipping cream 

1 1/2 cups of sugar

2 tablespoons of unsalted butter

1/4 tsp salt

2 cups 0f Pecans 

Combine all ingredients into a sauce pan. Place on medium-high heat. Stir constantly until mixture thickens and turns to a caramel color. Remove from heat and stir Pecans in immediately and pour mixture over semi cool brownies. 

Cut and enjoy! 




Official Review

YUM! 

I did find that after everything had cooled I had to warm the brownies up in the oven again to cut through the caramel but it was worth it. Who doesn't like warm brownies and caramel anyway? 











1 comment:

Unknown said...

I can't let my husband see these! He will want me to make them immediately!

They do look divine!